Nothing packs the same aromatic punch as a home-cured Irish salmon flavoured with fresh dill and local craft gin. This elegant and flavourful salmon is always a hit and the perfect show-stopping dish.
Our easy-to-follow recipe uses the Ballyvolane House, Bertha’s Revenge Irish Milk Gin giving the dish a distinctive Cork twist. It is delicious served with Crossogue Apple Mustard, Dill Mayonnaise and authentic Dromod Boxty Pancakes.
Boxty a traditional Irish dish was a staple food in households where potatoes were relied upon to survive. To this day it is eaten regularly in many households across the country especially in the northwest. Like our Irish Soda Bread, there are many variations of Boxty but we believe Dromod Boxty is exceptionally good.
“Boxty on the griddle, Boxty on the Pan, if you can’t make Boxty, you’ll never get a man” – Folk rhyme
To introduce you to these wonderful local ingredients for your recipe, we have created a Good Food Ireland® Limited Edition Hamper Box. It is full of local artisan produce and includes Achill Island Sea Salt, Crossogue Preserves Apple Mustard, Ballymaloe Mayonnaise and Dromod Boxty.
- 1 x 700 – 800g Side of Fresh Irish Organic Salmon (Ask your fishmonger to leave the skin on, descale and remove the pin-bones)
- 50ml of Bertha’s Revenge Irish Milk Gin (from Ballyvolane House in Cork – Buy Here)
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Dill (Look out for McCormack Farm Herbs in stores)
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- 100g of Achill Island Sea Salt
- 50g Dark Brown Sugar
- 50g of Tipperary’s Crossogue Preserves Apple Mustard
- 100g of Ballymaloe Mayonnaise
To Prepare the Marinade
- Roughly chop ½ a bunch of dills, mix with the Gin, Lemon Juice and Zest, Salt and Sugar.
To Prepare the Mayonnaise
- Combine the Apple Mustard, Ballymaloe Mayonnaise and a teaspoon of finely chopped dill.
- Mix until evenly blended.
- Trim away any fatty and fin bone edges.
- Rub and coat the skin side with the marinade and turn over onto a large sheet of cling film.
- Coat the flesh side with a generous covering of the marinade.
- Wrap up the full side of salmon in the cling film and place it on a tray in the fridge for 24 hours to allow the marinade to soak in.
- Before serving remove the marinaded side of salmon and brush away the loose marinade.
- Place on a fresh sheet of cling film skin side down and cover all the salmon flesh with the remaining ½ bunch of fresh-picked dill, wrap tightly in the cling film for 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve remove from the wrapping and slice the salmon using a sharp carving knife, cut the salmon away from the skin at a 45-degree angle. Allow 3 – 4 slices per starter portion.
- Garnish with fresh dill, a wedge of lemon and the Mayonnaise on the side.
A full side of Gravadlax will serve 10 starter portions. It also works well carved and presented as a platter on a buffet. This salmon will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, wrap well in cling film.
All you need to do now is Enjoy!
Explore & Book
Food & Drink Experiences
Vintage Afternoon Tea At Newbridge SilverwareWhat You’ll Get The Good Food Ireland® Vintage Afternoon Tea at Newbridge Silverware with a Museum of Style Icons visit & a 20% Discount Voucher for Newbridge Silverware Shopping Included, and free car parking. Domo’s restaurant in Newbridge...
The Gourmet Food Parlour Dinner Special Two CourseWhat You’ll Get Your choice of two starters, two mains @€20.00 and two Coole Swan Coffees. Offer available Thursday to Saturday 5 pm – 9 pm and Sunday 5 pm – 8 pm Offer excludes the 10oz Ribeye – available for an additional €8.00...
The Gourmet Food Parlour Dinner Special Three CourseWhat You’ll Get Your choice of two starters, two mains @€20.00, two desserts and two Coole Swan Coffees. Offer excludes the 10oz Ribeye – available for an additional €8.00 each. This offer is not available at the Malahide outlet. Offer...