It might seem like a weird time of year to be writing about blackcurrants. As any blackcurrant lover knows, these gorgeous home-grown jewel-like dark berries are at their absolutely luscious fresh best at the height of the Irish summer. Eaten just as they come, or in a mix of summer berries, blackcurrants bring a heap of vitamin C, minerals and antioxidants to the diet, with the pleasure of every mouthful.
So why are we talking about them in January? Well, what if we told you we know someone who has managed to bottle all this sunshine taste and goodness, so you can benefit all year round? Superfood berries in a bottle, at a time when you really need their goodness to boost you through the winter months.
Des Jeffares is a traditional Irish blackcurrant farmer, from several generations of Jeffares family farmers, growing blackcurrants in the soft fruit growing paradise of County Wexford. He uses honest to goodness, environmentally friendly methods, certified under Bord Bia’s Origin Green programme, to grow superb quality berries. Des is Ireland’s only dedicated blackcurrant grower, growing fresh blackcurrants for harvest in the summer season, and supplies his quick frozen berries most of the year. Once known as Mr Ribena because he was the main supplier of quality blackcurrants to make the famous drink, Des is now also making his own delicious natural pressed Mr Jeffares Blackcurrant Cordial with no added sugar, from his own berries. A truly artisan ‘grower to glass’ product, that’s authenticity and traceability is guaranteed.
So when it comes to your health regime, what can we tell you about Mr Jeffares Blackcurrant Cordial? Read on to find out!
1. You can use Mr Jeffares Blackcurrant Cordial to make a super warming winter punch. It’s an old Jeffares’ family favourite for keeping the winter chills at bay. The Jeffares are a damn fine healthy and robust bunch of people! So follow their example of glowing winter health, with the simple recipe below.
Mr Jeffares Blackcurrant Warming Winter Punch
Makes 10 x 200ml servings
500ml Mr Jeffares Blackcurrants Irish Blackcurrant Cordial with No Added Sugar
Whole Orange Sliced, Studded with Cloves
Whole Irish Apple Sliced
6 Star Anise
2 Cinnamon Sticks
Heat up the Blackcurrant Cordial and water with spices and fruit slices – but do not boil. Keep warm for 1 hour allowing time to diffuse the spices. Strain and serve. Serve from heat or in a decorative punch bowl to create that extra style and add some freshly sliced fruit. Can be made ahead of time and reheated, often even giving a better taste and flavour.
2. Blackcurrants are highly nutritious. Other fruits get all the praise in the health stakes, but blackcurrants can knock the spots off them.
3. Independent studies have shown that blackcurrants have: More anthocyanins than any other commercially available fruit or vegetable, Higher antioxidant activity than other berries, Vitamin C levels higher than any other commercially available fruit or vegetable
4. Eating Blackcurrants can provide your body with vital nutrients and help protect against a myriad of ills including Cardiovascular Disease, Ageing and Brain Function, Urinary Tract Health, and Vision.
5. Often labelled with the term ‘Superfood’, when you compare their levels of health-giving bio-actives with other fruits it is easy to see why.
6. Mr Jeffares Blackcurrant Cordial preserves all the goodness of fresh blackcurrants in the bottle!
7. Use Mr Jeffares Blackcurrant Cordial to cleanse the system. Dilute with still or sparkling water for a refreshing and rehydrating drink boosted with important vitamins and nutrients your body needs.
Mr Jeffares Blackcurrants, 100% natural cold-pressed pure juice with no added sugar, made from homegrown Irish blackcurrants at Ballykelly Farm, Co Wexford.
Buy Gift Voucher