- 10 – 12 slices good-quality hand-cut white batch bread, crusts removed
- 50g / 2 oz best Irish butter (plus extra for greasing the baking dish)
- Freshly grated nutmeg (around ½ a teaspoon)
- Cinnamon – optional (around 1 teaspoon if using)
- 115g / 4 oz (more if you want!) of good quality raisins or sultanas
- 275ml / 10 fl oz milk
- 60ml / 2 ½ fl oz cream
- 4 large organic eggs or local free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 55g / 2 oz castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sugar to sprinkle on top
- Pinch of salt
Buy A Voucher
You will need:
Well buttered 1.2 litres / 2-pint oblong (oven proof) baking dish (and a larger similar shaped dish to make a bain-marie).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4
- Remove the crusts from the bread, butter each slice (one side only) and then cut each slice into half (diagonally to make triangles).
- Arrange one layer of bread, buttered-side down over the base of the buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle the bottom layer with some cinnamon and half the raisins.
- Repeat the same steps making a second layer.
- Cover the second layer of raisins with the remaining bread, again, buttered-side down.
Next, make the custard:
- Measure out the milk and add the cream, then whisk together with the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar (add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter).
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve over the bread. Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the pudding, and some freshly grated nutmeg
- Cover the pudding and allow soak up the custard for at least 1 hour, or you could even refrigerate overnight (if soaking overnight – reserve some custard and add before cooking the next day).
- Place the pudding in a bain-marie (pour in enough water to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish), and bake in the middle of the oven for about 40 – 50 minutes (maybe up to 1 hour), until the top is crisp and golden and the custard is set.
- Serve the pudding warm with some softly whipped Irish cream, or extra custard.
Visit Our Shop
You may also like
Pumpkin Soup RecipeThick and creamy pumpkin soup recipe spiced with chili, ginger and black pepper. This soup is full of nutritious and it is a perfect choice for a quick, warming supper.
Homemade Chocolate Fondant...
Carrot CakeThis easy, incredibly moist carrot cake is perfect treat with an afternoon tea! Top it with creamy icing and serve it with whipped cream or toasted nuts for deeper flavor.