For this dish, it’s important the chicken is left on the bone as it has much more flavour and doesn’t become as dry. Ask your butcher to cut it into chunks for you.
- 1 whole chicken
- 180g onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 20g tagine spice (see recipe)
- 40g honey
- 80g dried apricots
- 80g sultanas
- 500ml chicken stock
- 900g tomato passata
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 70g flaked almonds, roasted
For the tagine spice mix:
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Cut the whole chicken into 10 pieces while leaving them on the bone and season well, heat a large frying pan, and brown on all sides.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and add in the onions and garlic, cook until lightly coloured. Add in the tagine spice and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the honey, apricots, and sultanas and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, tomato passata, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, season to taste.
- Place chicken into a suitable ovenware dish and cover with the sauce. Cover with a lid and place into a preheated oven (180c / gas mark 4) and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and finish with the roasted almonds and fresh coriander.
Visit Our Shop
You may also like
Spinach & Irish Greek Style Cheese RollsThis delicious recipe if from McCormack Family Farm, a Father and Sons team with a taste for excellence and passion for produce has excelled in creating a range of products that is both innovative and commercial in nature.
Raspberry FoolIrish Raspberry Fool is one of the simplest desserts, made with just 3 ingredients. All you need to do to enjoy this mouthwatering dessert from Ballymaloe Cookery School is to swirl pureed raspberries togheter with fresh whipped cream.
Spiced Red Lentil Soup RecipeA hearty and creamy red lentil soup with a pinch of spicy seasonings. This soup is full of plant-based fiber and flavors. It is a perfect choice when you crave something delicious and comforting.