- 2 tablespoons rapeseed (canola) oil, plus extra if needed
- 500 g sausages, cut into pieces if preferred
- 500 g streaky (regular) bacon, cut into pieces
- 500 g onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre chicken stock1 kg (9 medium) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
Warm the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and bacon and fry for about 10 minutes until they have a nice colour. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
Add the sliced onions to the pan and a little more oil if necessary. Reduce the heat and fry for about 10 minutes so that the onions caramelize slowly.
When the onions have a nice colour, return the sausages and bacon to the pan and add the thyme and bay leaves. Cover with the chicken stock (broth) and return to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the potatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes.
Add the chopped parsley and plenty of black pepper and serve.
Credit: The Irish Cookbook by Jp McMahon is published by Phaidon. Photography & Styling: Anita Murphy and Zania Koppe
You may also like
Autumn Fruit Cobbler
New Season Irish Carrot CakeInternational Guest Chef Fred Cordonnier. Recipe baked by Aisling Boggan from team Good Food Ireland.
Greek Yogurt, Lemon Zest and Pistachio PancakesSince 1990, the Faughnan family of Dromod, Co. Leitrim have been ensuring the traditional Irish food, boxty remains a key part of Irish food culture with their Dromod Boxty food business.