It’s World Egg Day today! And to coincide with the action packed rugby weekend coming up, and in particular the Ireland V France match that promises to be a cracker ('scuse the pun!) Bord Bia has teamed up with sports nutritionist Daniel Davey, to develop some delicious egg recipes using Bord Bia Quality Assured eggs.
Daniel Davey is Senior Performance Nutritionist at Leinster Rugby and Dublin GAA, and also co-founder of FoodFlicker. This is a popular source of recipe inspiration, developed by a group of qualified nutritionists and researchers, who aim to improve understanding of appropriate nutrition through creative photos, exciting videos and informed opinions. Daniel’s egg recipes can be found on this Bord Bia link.
Meanwhile, here’s one of our own egg favourites from the Burren Smokehouse – Delicious Baked Eggs with Burren Irish Organic Smoked Salmon –loaded with healthy properties and heaps of taste!
To whet your appetite even more – here are some eggstra Friday Food Facts on eggs for your consumption this morning
- During the course of a major rugby tournament a squad of 31 players will eat approximately 4,000 eggs – that’s approximately 650 eggs per week and 21 eggs per week for each individual player
- Eggs are one of nature’s most nutrient-dense foods are a very good source of selenium, iodine, and vitamin B, protein, molybdenum, phosphorus, vitamin B5, vitamin B12 and vitamin D
- Ireland is now producing 551 million eggs annually
- Irish consumers are spending €103 million per year on eggs!
- Eggs are economical – around €2.00 for half a dozen Irish free range eggs
So what are you waiting for? Get cracking this Friday! Enjoy your eggs…