- 1 layer homemade sponge cake or 1lb /450 g Savoiardi biscuits
- 8 oz (225 g) homemade raspberry jam
- 5-6 fl.oz (150-175 ml) best quality sweet or medium sherry
- 5 free range eggs
- 1 ¼ tablespoons caster sugar
- ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla essence
- 1 ¼ pint (750 ml) rich milk
- 1 pint (600 ml) whipped Glenilen Farm cream
- Fresh Raspberries and or Strawberries and Blueberries
Buy A Voucher
Spread the raspberry jam evenly over the sponge or Savoiardi biscuits.
Whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla essence. Heat the milk to the ‘shivery’ stage and add it to the egg whisking all the time. Put into a heavy saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the custard coats the back of the wooden spoon lightly. Don’t let it boil or it will curdle.
Cut the sponge into ¾ inch slices and use these to line the bottom of a 3 pint (1.7 litre) glass bowl, sprinkling generously with sherry as you go along. Pour in some homemade egg custard and then add another layer of sponge. Sprinkle with the remainder of the sherry. Spread the rest of the custard over the top. Cover and leave for 5 or 6 hours, or overnight, to mature.
Before serving, spread the whipped cream over the top and decorate the trifle. Fresh raspberries, strawberries or blueberries are the best.
Visit Our Shop
You may also like
Pumpkin Soup RecipeThick and creamy pumpkin soup recipe spiced with chili, ginger and black pepper. This soup is full of nutritious and it is a perfect choice for a quick, warming supper.
Homemade Chocolate Fondant...
Carrot CakeThis easy, incredibly moist carrot cake is perfect treat with an afternoon tea! Top it with creamy icing and serve it with whipped cream or toasted nuts for deeper flavor.