It has been known to convert steadfast vegetarians back to being meat eaters, they missed it so much. The smell of it cooking brings people running for miles. It’s integral to a Full Irish. A few sandwiches made with it in the middle of the morning never go amiss! What are we referring to? Bacon, of course. It’s World Bacon Day tomorrow, 5th September, so we are getting in the mood a day early to celebrate the product of the pig! What’s your favourite way to eat bacon? Here are a few tips from us.
- Chopped streaky bacon fried with the onions and vegetables make a great base of flavour if you are making ameaty stew.
- Crispy bacon bits work brilliantly sprinkled over creamy soups like cauliflower or potato and leek.
- Make a quick sauce of crispy bacon bits, chilli, garlic and tinned tomatoes, for pouring over pasta.
- Warm fried bacon strips are good sprinkled over a Ceasar Salad
- Grilled thickly sliced bacon chops are good with mashed potatoes and greens of choice.
- Boiled bacon and cabbage is one of Ireland’s most famous traditional dishes.
- The Americans love pancakes or waffles topped with crispy bacon sandwiches and maple syrup – and we must agree it really works!
- BLT is the famous sandwich served in pubs and bars – Bacon (warm) Lettuce and Tomato, layered between crispy toasted sliced bread, with mayo. If you want to make it fancy you can make it triple layer – that is, layer the BLT on one slice of mayo covered toast, place another slice of mayo covered toast on top, then go again with the layers and top with a third slice of toast. Halve and skewer with cocktails sticks – and voila! BLT Club Sandwich!
- Streaky bacon is good for cooking while lean back rashers are perfect for brekkie or sarnies.
- Top your bacon sandwich with some Ballymaloe Country Relish for an explosion of taste
GOOD FOOD IRELAND BACON PRODUCERS:
- Ummera Smokehouse makes naturally smoked bacoon with no addivitives or nitrates
- McCarthy’s of Kanturk have their own special recipe bacon cures for rashers and bacon joints
- Woodside Farm rear their own free range heritage breed pigs for fresh pork and homecured bacoon
- Also check out our butchers who often cure their own bacon.