Good Food Ireland® Approved member, Ballymaloe Cookery School is having a Fermentation Workshop with Penny Allen & Maria Walsh on Tuesday the 29th of November 2022 from 2:30 pm -5:30 pm.
Ballymaloe Cookery School is all about Ireland’s produce and is an all-round warrior for the country’s local producers. The school is internationally recognised and has been the first step on the culinary journey of many well-known chefs, food producers and food writers around the world. At Ballymaloe, students learn the importance of sourcing carefully and gain an understanding of the fundamentals of organic food production. Much of the ingredients in use here are from the school’s own gardens.
Fermentation is and always has been an important part of a healthy diet. We have lost many of the traditional fermented foods that would have been part of our diet. During this afternoon demonstration, Penny Allen and Maria Walsh will show you how to make Sauerkraut, Kombucha, Water Kefir and other fermented foods.
They will de-mystify the process and remove the fear of making fermented foods in your own kitchen. You will leave with all the recipes and a jar of starter culture for kefir. There’ll be also afternoon tea, herb tea, coffee and homemade biscuits served on arrival
What You’ll Learn
- The knowledge about how easy fermentation really is and why it is so important in our world and in our diet today
- Simple inexpensive examples of equipment to use
- A step by step demonstration of how to make kombucha, water kefir, milk kefir, ginger bug, mead (honey wine) and sauerkraut
- There will be tastings of each ferment throughout the course of the afternoon
- Make your own jar of sauerkraut under our careful guidance
- A mini tour of our Fermenting Shed where we are forever alchemising new ideas and recipes!
Book This Course Now