- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 young parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 100 g baby button mushrooms
- 4 large free range chicken legs
- 1.5 ltr chicken stock
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1.5 kg new season rooster or Irish white potatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Buy A Voucher
There’s nothing nicer than the tender chicken you get out of a slow-cooked stew. Think of the succulent meat falling straight from the bone, surrounded by tender carrots, bites of fluffy potato, and the richness of earthy mushrooms. This recipe is a classic and is the perfect sort of recipe for lobbing any extra ingredients you might have around the house into. It’s best to leave this cooking for the best part of the day, so perhaps preparing it at the weekend, or in the morning (if you have a crock pot) and giving it the correct amount of time to develop a full flavour would be best.
Although it takes a while to cook, the stew itself is quite easy to prepare.
1. Once you have all the vegetables ready to go (peeled and chopped and ready for action), then you need to begin frying them off.
2. Fry the veggies and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet till softened but not too browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
3. Brown the chicken legs in the frying pan and place these on the veggies. Pour over the stock and add thyme and potatoes.
4. Season and cook on low setting for about 7 hours or on the high setting for 4 hours.
5. When it’s been cooked for that long, it will be ready to serve, we recommend big hearty bowls of the stuff.
You need nothing more with this – it’s a meal in one pot. Enjoy your wonderful winter chicken stew!
Visit Our Shop
You may also like
Spinach & Irish Greek Style Cheese RollsThis delicious recipe if from McCormack Family Farm, a Father and Sons team with a taste for excellence and passion for produce has excelled in creating a range of products that is both innovative and commercial in nature.
Raspberry FoolIrish Raspberry Fool is one of the simplest desserts, made with just 3 ingredients. All you need to do to enjoy this mouthwatering dessert from Ballymaloe Cookery School is to swirl pureed raspberries togheter with fresh whipped cream.
Spiced Red Lentil Soup RecipeA hearty and creamy red lentil soup with a pinch of spicy seasonings. This soup is full of plant-based fiber and flavors. It is a perfect choice when you crave something delicious and comforting.