- 6 lamb shanks,1 kg approx.
- 12 small sprigs of rosemary
- 12 slivers garlic
- 8 anchovy fillets, halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Braising Ingredients:
- 1 oz (25g) goose fat or duck fat or olive oil
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 7 fl ozs (200ml/scant 1 cup) bottle good red wine
- 5 fl ozs (150ml/generous 1/2 cup) chicken or lamb stock
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 strips of dried orange peel
- Sauce4 ozs (110g) streaky bacon, cut into lardons and blanched
- 2 tablespoons (2 American tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 very ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced or 1/2 x 14 oz tin of tomatoes + juice
- 2 sprigs of thyme leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
- 1 x 14oz (400g) tin flageolet beans, drained or 4-7 ozs (110-200g) dried flageolet beans, soaked overnight and then boiled rapidly for 20 minutes
- Garnish sprigs of rosemary and garlic
Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF/Gas Mark 2.
- Remove most of the fat from each shank, then scrape the meat away from the bone to loosen it. Make 2 deep incisions in each joint and insert a sprig of rosemary and a sliver of garlic wrapped in half an anchovy fillet into each incision.
- Season the meat with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the goose fat in a heavy sauté pan or casserole and sauté the meat in it until well browned on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pan. Add the carrots, celery, leeks, onion, and garlic and cook over high heat until well browned. Add the red wine to the pan and bring to a boil, stir for a minute or two.
- Add the chicken stock, herbs, and orange peel to the pan, then place the lamb shanks on top. Cover and cook in the oven for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and brown the bacon in it. Then reduce the heat and add the carrot, celery, onion, and garlic and cook for 8 minutes approx. or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, herbs, flageolets, and enough stock to half cover the beans.
Cover and simmer for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- When the lamb has finished cooking, remove the thyme, bay leaves, and orange peel.
- Taste and correct seasoning. Serve the lamb shanks on a hot deep dish with the beans and vegetables poured over and around.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme.
Visit Our Shop