- 400g (14ozs) stone ground wholemeal flour
- 75g (3ozs) white flour, preferably unbleached
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 level teaspoon bread soda, sieved (Bicarbonate of Soda/Baking Soda)
- 1 egg, preferably free range
- 1 tablespoon arachide or sunflower oil, unscented
- 1 teaspoon honey or treacle
- 425ml (15fl ozs) buttermilk or sourmilk approx. (put all the milk in)
- Sunflower or sesame seeds optional
- Loaf tin 23×12.5x5cm (9x5x2in)
Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6
Makes 1 loaf or 3 small loaves
Put all the dry ingredients including the sieved bread soda into a large bowl, mix well. Whisk the egg, add the oil and honey most of the buttermilk. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in all the liquid, mix well and add more buttermilk if necessary. The mixture should be soft and slightly sloppy, pour into an oiled tin or tins. Sprinkle some sunflower or sesame seeds on the top. Bake for 60 minutes approx, or until the bread is nice and crusty and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Add 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds, 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds, 1 tablespoon of kibbled wheat to the dry ingredients. Keep a mixture to scatter over the top.
You may also like
Simnel CakeBallymaloe House is home to the cooking dynasty of the Allen family, so you know you are in for a gastronomic treat when you dine here. This elegant country house has all the elements you will need to enjoy a relaxing full of great hospitality and of...
Traditional Roast Beef DinnerThe suburbs of Cork City are home to a little secret. Located near Douglas, just a short drive from the centre of the Rebel City, Maryborough Hotel and Spa is set in a private estate of mature grounds and gardens. You can sense the 300 years of history...
Bury the Hatchet Whiskey CocktailIntroduce yourself to the wonderful world of Irish Whiskey with this wonderful cocktail featured in Monika Coghlan's Craft Cocktails book.